Product Analytics Growing Pains: 4 Things Amplitude Users Need to Know
By Scuba Insights
Not all product analytics solutions are created equal. That doesn’t mean that some are bad while others are good. But it does mean that some solutions which were great starter tools will no longer fit your needs as you look to increase the breadth of your product analytics capabilities and scale your business.
This is where a lot of Amplitude users find themselves.
If you need to get product and customer success analytics up and running fast, Amplitude is a good way to do that. But when your needs grow and you look to scale, the features that ramped you up quickly can actually get in your way. In fact, there are four critical areas where you will start to run into limitations and lose momentum (not to mention, create massive frustration).
1. Lack of query language visibility adds complexity
“Blackbox” queries made life really easy at first. You could get answers instantly with no technical expertise required. But once you’ve taken advantage of the low-hanging fruit, you need to increase your product analytics sophistication, which requires you to iterate on the data to get deeper into WHY things are happening in the environment. But without visibility into the query language, you simply don’t have that flexibility. With no way to replicate the queries in other analytics systems, there is no way to know if you’re dealing with - good data or a data swamp.
2. Inability to blend multi-channel events
Amplitude makes it easy to see what’s going on with your users, and there’s a lot of good data there. Except that doesn’t give you the full story. Again, once you’ve benefited from the low-hanging fruit, you want to build a more comprehensive, 360-degree view of your environment. This requires blending multi-channel events across users, devices, accounts, etc., which Amplitude doesn’t natively support within its solution . Sure you can leverage APIs with additional 3rd party data stores but you now have to manage ETL and compliance challenges.
3. GDPR and CCPA compliance exposure
GDPR and CCPA are a big deal, and it’s probably just the start with more privacy legislation to come. Because your product and customer success analytics tools use data covered by these regulations, you need to ensure you are fully compliant so you don’t risk opening yourself up to fines. Unless your data is being managed systemically you expose yourself to massive fines and litigation.
4. Expensive at scale
Amplitude was inexpensive when you started small. But as your data grows—and growth is, after all, the whole point—and your need for enterprise-grade capabilities increases, the tool can quickly become very cost-ineffective. BI tools work with aggregated data to improve performance -- as soon as you start limiting your data because of speed or cost you’ve lost the TCO/ROI battle.
Start With Amplitude, Scale With Scuba
Scuba Analytics is a full-stack product analytics solution that was built to pick up where lightweight tools like Amplitude leave off. It lets you analyze granular data with a simple, no-coding query interface that doesn’t limit datasets or size of ingest. It’s fully GDPR and CCPA compliant, and it’s cost-effective for enterprise-scale deployment. That’s why sophisticated product and customer teams—and the data professionals who support them—in companies like Microsoft, Edmunds, Comcast, Asana, and others use Scuba.
Experience Scuba for Yourself
If you’ve outgrown Amplitude, or you’re on the fast track to doing so, get a free demo to see how Scuba can meet your product analytics needs today, and grow with you into the future—and for a limited time, we’re offering special financial incentives for current Amplitude customers.
Recent Blog Posts
- Mastering the DX 2.0 Economy: How Customer Intelligence Helps Media & Ad Tech Brands Thrive
- 4 Game-Changing Benefits of a Privacy-Centric Single-Stack Analytics Solution
- 5 CDP Shortcomings Ad Tech Brands Face & How to Fix Them
- 3 Powerful Time-Series Analysis Techniques to Drive Better Insights
- 6 Ways Time-Series Analytics can Help Your Business
- Scuba Analytics Recognized for Employee Happiness, Benefits, & Perks with 2 Comparably Awards
Popular Blog Posts
- It's Time to Stop Being “Data-Driven” (And Start Being Data-Informed)
- 48 Analytics Quotes from the Experts
- How to Conduct a Behavioral Analysis (in 7 Steps)
- 6 Common Types of Behavioral Segmentation for Understanding Your Customers
- 6 Essential Mental Models for Product Managers
- 27 Amazing Tech and Product Blogs: Theory, Tactics, Frameworks